Yet here they are:
1. West York (6-0, previous rank: 2): A perfect start warrants the top spot for the Bulldogs, who gave coach Bill Ackerman is 300th win on the same night Central York upset William Penn to open these early season rankings to debate. West York has certainly closed 2013 in a stark contrast to the way in opened the calendar year — by struggling to a sub-.500 record. Ackerman said last week he thinks “they’re just due.” And there’s no one reason for the turnaround. Senior guard Kevin Rice provides a consistent scoring threat, but sophomore forward Darian McCauley has turned into a rebounding force. Then there’s Parker Weekly, whose passing and court awareness in the high post has drawn praise from numerous coaches. The Bulldogs go 11 deep in their lineup, usually by the second quarter. The philosophy is one Ackerman said he’s been both praised and criticized for in the past.
2. Central York (5-1, PR: 9): The Panthers deserve a No. 1 rankings just as much as West York. Their win was a sound one against William Penn, which held the YAIAA’s top spot for more than a year. With experienced perimeter threats, such as Sam Saxton and Royce Clemens, to go with up-and-coming 6-foot-3 sophomore Charlie Gingrich, Central looks to be congealing into a real contender.
3. William Penn (4-1, PR: 1): An Achilles’ heel for this Bearcats team has been foul shooting, and it cost them against Central.
4. Bermudian Springs (5-0, PR: 4): Tom Flaherty’s steady squad has the makings of another Division III title contender that could make noise in the league tournament and beyond.
5. Red Lion (5-1, PR: 5): The Lions’ 11-point win against rival Dallastown might have been the perfect remedy after a humbling setback to West York the previous Friday.
Keep an eye on: 6. York Suburban (5-1), 7. Dallastown (4-3), 8. Dover (3-3), 9. Delone Catholic (3-3), 10. Eastern York (5-2).
Who do you think should be No. 1? West York for its 6-0 start? Central for its win against William Penn? Or do the Bearcats still warrant top billing? Let us know in the comments section.