About this blogOne of America's most revered poets, Adrienne Rich, said, "The moment of change is the only poem." Because the world is always changing, poetry is everywhere, and everything can be versified.
Here, I'll discuss and review contemporary books of poetry, with a focus on regional writers, publications, and organizations. I'll promote area writers by offering prompts and contests, because I want to foster a spirit of community centered around poets and readers of poetry. This is a place to demystify the art of poetry, to appreciate its economy of language, its precision of image and sound.
Please share suggestions for blog content by emailing me at email@example.com. I'd love to hear from you! Let's versify PA and support those who are doing the same.
- "I believe in the talent that exists locally." -@poetrywarrio on PoemSugar press http://t.co/wEYKeLKxPV via @ydrcom #poetry #IloveYorkcity 17 hours ago
- Catch up on Culture & Main! episode 14 http://t.co/f1C7BmLCET via @ydrcom @cultureandmain @poetrywarrior #YorkPA #IloveYorkcity #arts 18 hours ago
- My #review of @CarlMelissa's 'Brutal Allure'--Thoughtful, moody, crafted #poems from #YorkPA http://t.co/UwIBKWhSMY via @ydrcom 18 hours ago
- Can't blog fast enough to keep up w/ #poetry & #poets in #YorkPA. Trying, though! #IloveYorkcity 6 days ago
- Larry B. Tibbs on May Poem of the Month contest
- Jess Waller on May Poem of the Month contest
- Sarah Trimmer on May Poem of the Month contest
- Richard Thomas on May Poem of the Month contest
- Buffy's World | Don’t miss: From interview with author Jim McClure to memories of Delco Plaza to chance to win free groceries on May Poem of the Month contest
TagsAdam Robinson Adrienne Rich Alyse Bensel ArtOfficial Mics Carla Christopher Carol Clark Williams chapbook Crystal Charisse culture and main DogStar Books formal poetry found poetry Found Poetry Review Iya Isoke JAWSTRUCK! Lancaster Poetry Exchange Melissa Carl meter metrical poetry Midtown Scholar Bookstore Missi McLaren NaPoMo NaPoWriMo National Poetry Month National Poetry Month 2013 NewPages performance poetry Poem A Day Challenge Poet Laureate poetry Poetry at the Parliament poetry events poetry reading Poetry Spoken Here rhyme rhyming poetry Rich Hemmings teens Teen Takeover Teen Takeover blog tribute poem white rose community television workshop YorkArts York College
Tag Archives: formal poetry
National Poetry Month has come to a close, as has the April Poem of the Month contest, the prompt for which was to write a poem that is in some way about poetry. This month, and for the third month … Continue reading
It should be immediately noted that I am a huge fan of the sonnet. Big-time. Traditional or experimental, I have nothing but love for the form that my favorite poet and former teacher Molly Peacock says has “a primitive appeal … Continue reading
Tickled pink to receive my first poem from a YDR reader this week! Bertram Barnett of Dillsburg had this to say about his poetic preferences: