To help you get to know our newsroom staff a bit better, a series of question-and-answer posts with each journalist will run on Mondays. This morning, meet multiplatform journalist Matt Anderson. Although you might not think about who’s putting together your paper when breaking news comes in at night, Matt’s one of those folks, part of the night news and digital desk.
Name: Matt Anderson
Lives in: Dallastown
Position at the YDR: Multiplatform journalist
Years with the YDR: Almost 13
Graduated from: UMBC
Facebook: Matt Anderson (rabbit)
Google+: Matthew Anderson (Isengard)
1. What made you want to become a journalist? Liked to read and write
2. How do you see journalism changing? New media provides challenges and opportunities
3. What do you like most about your job? The least? Serving the community/the hours
4. It’s 9:30 a.m. on a day off. What are you doing? Possibly watching Mike Birbiglia and Terry Gross http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTVFNZKuN-g
5. What’s been your favorite project or story recently? Why? I try not to pick favorites unless the favorite is something that really stands out as such. I think the human tendency to rate things or ideas often leads us to misunderstand or misappreciate those things or ideas.
6. The drink that’s on your desk right now is: I have two drinks on my desk.
7. Your favorite Twitter feed you follow: See 5
8. What’s your favorite movie? Book? See 5
9. What’s your favorite place in York County? See 5
10. What’s one piece of newsroom jargon that had to be explained to you? Furniture. [Editor’s note: Items that are always on the same page in the same place — for example, lotteries, the weather graphic and corrections are always on page 2.]
Last week, we ran a Q&A with features reporter Leigh Zaleski. To read all of the staff Q&A interviews we’ve done so far, click on the “Staff Q&As” under “About us” at the top of the homepage.