To help you get to know our newsroom staff a bit better, a series of question-and-answer posts with each journalist will run on Mondays. This morning, meet editorial assistant Kim Curran. She processes some of the photos and text that appear in Neighbors and the Weekly Record. You might have seen her crafty posts on Smart.
Name: Kimberly Curran
Lives in: Dillsburg, Pa
Hometown: Emlenton, Pa
Position at the YDR: Editorial Assistant
Years with the YDR: Almost two years
Graduated from: Clarion University of Pa
With a degree in: English Literature
Whatever you’d like to tell us about yourself: I am a family girl. I grew up with a very large family and so naturally I love immersing myself in our family life. I have 5 sisters and sometimes they are a pain but would never exchange one of them!
1. What made you want to become a journalist? I never really had a specific career goal but I did know that I wanted to be part of the publishing world. As a teenager, I loved to read and still do! I can still remember mom telling me to get my nose out of the book and get my homework done. Now how many teenagers need to be told to stop reading?!
2. What do you like most about your job? The least? I would say that the thing that I like the most is also the thing that I like the least. I like that I am part of a newsroom that is always working on positive, ground-breaking news. However, some news can be very heart-breaking.
3. It’s 9:30 a.m. on a day off. What are you doing? Hopefully sleeping in But more than likely I am making a delicious breakfast. Eggs, toast, and bacon — of course … the works!
4. The drink that’s on your desk right now is: Two bottles of water and tea.
6. What’s your favorite movie? Despite the fact that my “favorite” movie changes with time, one movie that I really liked was “Adjustment Bureau,” which had the perfect combination of action and unstoppable love. The last book you read? I just finished reading “Dancing with Mrs. Dalloway” by Celia Blue Johnson, which tells how authors of classic novels received their inspirations for their masterpieces.
7. What’s your favorite place in York County? Anywhere, as long as I am with family or friends.
8. What’s one piece of newsroom jargon that had to be explained to you? Daily budget [Editor's note: The daily budget is the file where we list the content for each day's paper -- what the story is named in our system, if it has art or additional breakout boxes, if it can refer to online blogs or other stories, and more. We post most days' budgets on YDR Insider.]
Last week, we ran a Q&A with editorial assistant Natalie Schwind. To read all of the staff Q&A interviews we’ve done so far, click on the “Staff Q&As” under “About us” at the top of the homepage.