The NewsVroom, the York, Pa., Daily Record/Sunday News digital classroom on wheels, was a key part of the newsroom’s successful entry in statewide Readership Initiative Award competition.
The York Daily Record/Sunday News received numerous honors in a recent season of awards, a most wonderful time of the year… .
1. The YDR captured Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association’s Readership Initiative Award. That entry included the activities of The NewsVroom in the past year and the YDR/York Newspaper Co./MediaOnePa healthy living initiative, No Sweat, York.
Our newsroom has won or finished second in this competition every year since its inception in 2006. That includes four straight firsts. The award honors efforts by state newsrooms to accept the challenge of growing readership through innovative initiatives.
2. The York Daily Record/Sunday News won six awards in Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association Newspaper of the Year competition:
– Honorable mention – Opinion Page/Editorial Page
– 1st place – Diversity in news coverage
– 1st place – Promotion
– 2nd place – Community service/literacy
– 2nd place – Online presence
– 1st place – Best use of video
3. Mike Argento won second place for editorial writing in William A. Schnader awards competition, honoring examples of best legal reporting in Pennsylvania.
4. Scott Blanchard won honorable mention in Mimi Award competition from the Ochberg Society for Trauma Journalism.
The YDR’s Lauren Boyer won the Digital First Media Tout Bout for August, meaning this Tout was judged to be the best on a mobile device in Digital First Media.