The following are some of the awards and recognitions received by the newsroom of the York Daily Record/Sunday News and its affiliated digital products in the past 20 years:
- Pennsylvania’s Newspaper of the Year Award (Pennsylvania Newspaper Association): 2001 (second place tie), 2003 (second place), 2004 (first place), 2011 (first place).
- Sweepstakes Award from the Pennsylvania Society of Newspaper Editors (for the most points in a circulation division in the annual Keystone Press Awards): 1990, 1993 (tie), 1995, 1996, 1998 (tie), 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.
- PNA Foundation Public Service Award: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011.
- Pennsylvania Newspaper Association’s G. Richard Dew Award for Journalistic Service (PNA’s highest honor): 1991, 1995, 1998, 2001, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2011.
- Pennsylvania Newspaper Association’s Readership Initiative Award recognizes Pennsylvania newspapers that accept and create a community of readers through innovative initiatives: 2006 (first place), 2007 (second place), 2008 (first place), 2009 (second place), 2010 (first place), 2011 (first place), 2012 (first place), 2013 (first place), 2014 (first place).
- American Society of Newspaper Editors: 2011, finalist in the competition for online storytelling. Jason Plotkin’s Darisabel project.
- The Mid-Atlantic Emmy for Jason Plotkin’s “Carrying Darisabel” project, 2011. This Emmy is the first Mid-Atlantic Emmy for a newspaper-based organization competing directly against TV news organizations. Plotkin also won a 2014 Mid-Atlantic Emmy Award for a collection of videos from the Gettysburg 150th coverage.
- The Editor & Publisher’s EPPY Award in the category of Best Enterprise/Investigative Video, honoring the Best Media-Affiliated Websites (competed in division for sites with 250,000 to 1 million unique monthly visitors) for Jason Plotkin’s documentary, “Carrying Darisabel.”
- Keystone Press Specialty Awards: Distinguished Writing – Daily 2011 – Mike Argento (first place); Distinguished Writing – Daily, Ivey DeJesus (late 1990s); Distinguished Writing – Daily, Mike Argento (late 1990s); Distinguished Visual – Samantha Dellinger (2013).
- Paul Vathis award, Pennsylvania Associated Press Managing Editors, 2011: Bil Bowden; 2012: Kate Penn.
- Newspaper Excellence in Cyberspace Awards:
- Best Application of Social Networking 2011 (second place).
- Best Online Campaign 2011 (first place)
- John V.R. Bull Freedom of Information Award (Pennsylvania Society of Newspaper Editors): 2002, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2013 and 2014.
- Best of Show (Newswriting) and Public Service awards, Pennsylvania Associated Press Managing Editors: 2002 (for York Riots)
- Best of Show (Photography), Pennsylvania Associated Press Managing Editors: 1989 and 1994, 2013.
- Scripps Howard Foundation National Journalism Award: Public Service Report (tie) 2001 (for York riots).
- Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award: 2001, for “Paper Shield.”
- Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism: 2001, for “Paper Shield.”
- Pennsylvania Newspaper Foundation John Fisher Internet Vision Award, 2010, James McClure recipient.
- Pennsylvania Newspaper Foundation Benjamin Franklin Award for Excellence: 2002, Dennis Hetzel recipient; 2013, James McClure recipient.
- Paul Tobenkin Memorial Award for Print Honorees
- Thurgood Marshall Journalism Award for coverage of Ray Krone’s release from death row: 2003.
- Investigative Reporters and Editors Award: 2009, finalist in the under 100,000 circulation category for reporting on Finances of Nonprofit Angel Food Ministries” – Melissa Nann Burke. Burke was also a finalist in Livingston Awards for Young Journalists competition, 2011. Burke also won Religion News Association Cassels award in 2010 and 2011.
- National Society of Newspaper Columnist competition, under 100,000 circulation category, Finalist: Mike Argento, 2011.
- Society for Features Journalism, 23rd Annual Excellence-in-Features Writing Competition, up to 90,000 circulation category.
- Honorable Mention for the 2013 Dart Award, a national award for coverage of trauma, crisis and disaster - “Finding their way out,” about the lasting effects of the Red Lion school shooting in 2003.
- Scott Blanchard has been awarded honorable mention for the 2013 Mimi Award given by the Ochberg Society for Trauma Journalism. This national competition recognizes an editor who demonstrates and advocates compassionate and ethical coverage of trauma, conflict and social injustice.
- GameTimePA Editor Lyzz Jones was honored by Editor & Publisher in its 2013 annual list of “25 Under 35″ leaders in the publishing industry.
- Finalist in Editor & Publisher’s 2013 Eppy Awards in the category of “Best Mobile Applications with under 1 million unique monthly visitors” for GameTimePA High School Football Preview and for “Gettysburg: 150 Facts about the 150th.”
- Finalist in Editor & Publisher’s 2012 EPPY award for “Finding their way out.”
- April Trotter was named among Editor & Publisher’s “25 Under 35″ list in March 2014.
- The York Daily Record was recognized for excellence in Editor & Publisher magazine. The March 2014 issue features the YDR as one of “Ten That Do It Right.”
- Buffy Andrews was named one of the York YWCA’s “25 Extraordinary Women of York County.”
- 2014 DART award for “Finding their way”
- 2014 Annual DFMies, awarded by Digital First Media to its 75 daily newspapers across the country: for Mid-Size Journalist of the Year, Jason Plotkin; for Sports Coverage, PSU Coverage Team; Innovator of the Year, Dan Herman; Interactive Journalism, Sam Dellinger and Brad Jennings; Use of Social Media, Frank Bodani and Jason Plotkin
- 2014 Schnader Award from the Pennsylvania State Bar Association for editorial/commentary
- 2014 Newspaper of the Year awards for Online presence, Best use of video, Editorial/opinion page excellence, Diversity, Promotion, Community service
- 2014 Keystone Press Awards:
Column: Mike Argento)
Ongoing news: staff, for the Rodney Miller fire chief death coverage
Special project: Sam Dellinger, Chris Dunn, Brandie Kessler for the veterans memorial map project
Series: Rick Lee, Rebecca Hanlon, Mike Argento, for the Juvenile Lifers project
Sports column: Jim Seip
Feature story: Brandie Kessler, Jason Plotkin for Paul Miller story
Feature story: Christine Loman, for story on Scribbles the horse
News feature: Mike Argento, for Golden Venture
Personality profile: Frank Bodani, for Loretta Claiborne
Business: Leigh Zaleski, for Central Market
News photo: Chris Dunn, for flood rescue
Feature photo: Jason Plotkin, for battlefield engagement
Photo story: Chris Dunn, Paul Kuehnel, Kate Penn, for children with lissencephaly
Video story: Jason Plotkin, for Paul Miller
Video story: Sonya Paclob, for Central Market
- 2014 Pennsylvania APME News Excellence Competition (circulation 30,000 to 75,000):
General News Reporting, first place: Staff, York Daily Record/Sunday News, Gettysburg 150th anniversary package.
Online Coverage of Breaking News, first place: Staff, York Daily Record/Sunday News, “York County floods”
Sports Deadline Reporting, first place: Frank Bodani, Jim Seip, Brad Jennings, Chris Dunn, “Lions run out of magic”
Sports/Outdoors Column, first place: Frank Bodani, “Advice for a high school graduate from York County’s Sports Greats”
Spot News Reporting, second place: Staff, York Daily Record/Sunday News, “Flood spreads”
News Use of Video, first place: Jason Plotkin, “The hands and heart of Paul Miller”
Personality Portrait, second place: Kate Penn, “Diabetes portrait”
Photo Story, first place: Jason Plotkin,“Touch of faith: The Paul Miller story”
Photo Story, second place: Kate Penn, “Lineage of sickness: Jayquan’s story”