Elizabeth Roberts, a founder of the York 912 Patriots, said the head of the local GOP asked her to resign as a York County Republican committeewoman.

Roberts is an elected committeewoman for Dover Township’s 4th precinct. She recently announced that she’s running for the state House seat currently held by state Rep. Seth Grove, R-Dover Township.

A York 912 Patriots account on Friday tweeted out a letter from local committee chairman Bob Wilson, in which he said “her ongoing vitriol towards the Republican Party” made it necessary to ask for her resignation.

She said she wrote Wilson back, asking for his resignation. She wrote:

“I am sorry that my recent column which highlighted the failure of York’s representatives and senators to uphold the party principles you claim to espouse offended you. I would think, being the Chairman of the Party, it would be your job to support candidates that do uphold your party’s platform, and work to remove those that do not.”

She continued:

“Chairman Wilson, because you have chosen t o alienate the voters that support the core principles of the Republican Party, and support candidates who do not, I will have to ask for your resignation as York County’s Republican Committee Chairman.

“I have enclosed a resignation letter for your signature. I ask that you return this resignation letter to me within 20 days of this correspondence.  I wish you luck in your future endeavors, but for the sake of us all, I hope that does not include a continued career in politics.”

Wilson declined to discuss Roberts’ criticism of him or the letter he sent to her.

“That’s an internal issue that will be handled inside the confines of the party,” Wilson said.

He said he didn’t know why she made the letter public.

Oh, and he doesn’t plan to follow her request and resign.

“That will not happen,” Wilson said.

About Ed Mahon

County government and politics reporter at York Daily Record/Sunday News.
This entry was posted in York County Republican Party and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to A York 912 Patriots founder says head of local GOP asked her to resign from the York County Republican Committee

1. Zandra Bishop says:

Why on earth would Mr Wilson assume, for even one second, that Ms Roberts would NOT publicize his bully tactics?!?!

2. Robert says:

The GOP insiders blame others for their failures. Instead, they should look in the mirror. What do you think will happen when you alienate a large portion of your base? Mr. Wilson does not have the tact or wisdom of his predecessor. Once he loses a few seats for the insiders his time will be short.

3. Sharon Pollard says:

The GOP in Pennsylvania is not in touch with the people. Perfect example is SB76, school property tax elimination bill. Having a GOP house, senate and governor yet this bill is still not passed. I am a devout GOP knowing this party has left me I never left them. Wait until next election when we kick them out and bring the right GOP representatives in office. I truly shake my head in disbelief at our GOP. People like Beth Roberts will work for the people instead of putting their own ego’s, special interest and re-election before the people. Why in this economy would the GOP pass a transportation bill raising gas taxes. Grove voted for this the GOP has lost their values!

4. Mark Gibbs says:

Mr. Wilson,

You said, “That’s an internal issue that will be handled inside the confines of the party.” That statement IS the problem. You and other “leaders” of the Republican party have forgotten that WE the voting PEOPLE of the party are part of those “confines of the party”. A complete disconnect on your part and by the way, you should resign.

Chris Christie blocked a road and you sir, are a roadblock!

• Earl H. Conrad says:

Excellent point Mark Gibbs. I quit the party in 2011. There is no doubt they are out of touch, and they are stupid enough to prove it with their own words. I never liked the honchos endorsing candidates before the primary. Let the people decide. Stop ruling from the top down with your elitist snobbery.

5. Larry Johns says:

The only reason I am still a Republican is to vote in the primary.

6. bobguzzardi says:

Beth Roberts has violated no rule of the County committee. Criticizing the party and the party leadership is not only a legitimate exercise of her free speech rights but is expression to be encouraged.

Bob Wilson is everything wrong with Pa. Republican Party leadership.