New Year’s Eve party in York this year?

 

UPDATE: New Year’s in Continental Square is back on… and more.


 

York’s mayor has scheduled a “special announcement” about New Year’s for Thursday morning at city hall. The city has provided no other details.

This Chris Dunn file photo shows York workers Harry Frey, Roy Wolfhope and David Rudolph connecting cables to the city’s white rose on Friday, Dec. 30, 2011. This year’s New Year’s Eve celebration remains a question.

Right now, no one’s talking about it.

Well, almost no one.

“Mayor Kim Bracey will share a special announcement regarding New Years in the City of York on Thursday December 6th, 2012, 11 am, at York City Hall – Courtyard, 101 S. George Street, York, PA,” the announcement states.

And that’s it.

Calls and emails to city directors produced no more information. Questions to city council members on the subject elicited only confused looks.

An email to the mayor produced this: “Hope to see you Thursday morning!”

Looks like we’ll have to wait. So, in that case, I’ll speculate a bit.

The York Daily Record recently reported that this year’s Dec 31. event was called off. It was to be a casualty of a drying up of private donations, officials said.

There was not enough money for the event, which has been pegged at a cost of about $35,000, so it was nixed.

That was mid-November. But last week Rebecca LeFever reported a New Year’s celebration was back on, geared down a bit but spearheaded by bar owners who wanted to start a “First Pint” celebration along Beaver Street.

Those businessmen¬† said that while the traditional white rose might not be dropped, at least downtown could still be a destination for area residents on New Year’s Eve, with entertainment and beer offered in the area.

Not so, any more.

Jeff Lau, co-owner of Mudhook Brewing Co., said on Tuesday the First Pint event has been scaled way back. There’s not much more to say right now, Lau continued, adding that things would be more clear after an announcement by the city later in the week.

“The fact that the event in the square is back on has changed our plans,” he said.

For sure, I don’t know the substance of the mayor’s announcement coming tomorrow. But it seems like something is in the works, something that could bring a New Year’s celebration again to the square.

There seems no way to be sure right now. We’ll have to wait and see.

But for those who look forward each year to standing on Continental Square, counting down the seconds until that white rose drops, well, at least enjoy the process this December.

It seems the year-end drama is starting early.

What do you think will be the mayor’s New Year’s announcement tomorrow?

About Tim Stonesifer

Tim Stonesifer is the York city reporter for the York Daily Record/Sunday News. Email him at tstonesifer@ydr.com, call 771-2032 or follow him on Twitter @timstonesifer.
This entry was posted in city hall, Entertainment, family event, Holidays, Mayor Kim Bracey, Parades, Tim Stonesifer and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>