A municipal election — that few knew was happening; the great fire box debate; York struck by food trucks (and carts); a fire chief named; the Northwest triangle reclaimed; a commission in turmoil; a drug task force divided; a fourth of July tradition saved; a family found for a forsaken ficus.
In 2013, York debated, nurtured, cried, donated, cared, voted, changed, died and lived. Here’s a snapshot of five stories that captured our reader’s attention this year:
- Eight-year-old Mateo Maldonado has been on a mission to clean up York for the past year. He’s collected about 250 bags of trash and brought a community together through his group, the Litter Critters. In November, those effort’s earned Mateo a spot as a finalist in a national kindest kid contest.
- After months of deliberation, the struggling York City school district was given an opportunity to pull itself out of debt. Members of the York City schools advisory committee and its chief recovery officer turned down a plan to create an all-charter district and opted to give the district a chance to turn things around.
- Groundhog Day nearly turned tragic when afire engulfed the Rodeway Inn on North George Street. But through the efforts of city firefighters and a few good Samaritans, everyone escaped. The business and the victims, however, were left with the long process of rebuilding.
- York got an opportunity late this year to apply for a state revitalization program that could turn the fortunes of the financially-strapped city around. But residents were hesitant to embrace a program they had little information on and the city’s bid has yet to be approved.
- Tempers flared after the May primary when Republican Bryan Tate, a candidate for the 95th state House seat, said he heard of multiple instances of volunteers for Democrats Kevin Schreiber and York Mayor Kim Bracey telling people not to vote for Tate because he’s gay. The York County Democratic Party investigated the allegations. Schreiber won the House seat.
Who or what do you think were the top news makers in 2013?