York County photo collection adds to historical record

detters
This photograph from the Fred Yenerall collection shows the now-demolished Detters Mill covered bridge crossing the Conewago Creek in Dover Township in 1965. The bridge support in the middle was unusual for covered bridges in York County. Also of interest: In 1937, York County had 25 covered bridges. Now, it has one, kind of

Judy Thomas called to our attention a collection of photos from the region in the 1960s-1980s that might interest history nuts.

Her grandfather was behind the camera… .


“He photographed Covered Bridges, Mills, Barns, Mailpouch barns, and old buildings. His photos were on 35mm slides, which have been digitally scanned and restored, and now are online in a collection. He mostly took photos from Pennsylvania which is where he resided.
All photos have captions and details about the photo. Almost all have the year of the photo also. A lot of his photos are of places that are no longer around today. The online collection is 10,000 images at the present time, with more being added weekly as they are restored.”
What a nice contribution to the historical record!

About Jim McClure

Editor of the York Daily Record/Sunday News, ydr.com and its many digital products. Journalism/history blogger: yorktownsquare.com. Author or co-author of seven York County, Pa., history books.
This entry was posted in Archives, all posts, For photo fans, Genealogy/research, Local journalism & Web, Local landmarks, Mail bag, People. Bookmark the permalink.