We thought we had published the perfect Bury’s burger recipe after Jean Fix of York flagged its publication in the York Sunday News in 2000.
As it turns out, our reported recipe, Reader reveals Bury’s secret recipe, may have been incomplete. Delicious, but not authentic. And the source is the maker of the iconic York County burger himself, Joe Bury.
Sort of… .
York countian Jeannette Peery happened to mention at the end of a recent phone conversation that she’s aware that someone floated that same recipe that appeared in the York Sunday News past Joe Bury.
He said that the recipe was missing an ingredient but would not mention what it was.
His inquirer guessed Worcestershire Sauce, and Joe Bury confirmed that was, indeed, what was missing.
But Joe Bury’s would not say how much.
Jeannette Peery handles that problem this way: “Keep adding to taste.”
She uses her recipe regularly, and it’s always a hit. She added that some of the hamburgers available publicly that reportedly use the recipe ‘don’t taste the same.’
So, adding in Jeannette Perry’s ingredient – Worcestershire Sauce – here is the recipe up to the moment:
Bury’s Hamburger Recipe
1 cup ketchup
2 cups water
1 tsp. mustard
1 tsp. vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 TB sugar
4 TB dried onion
Worcestershire Sauce (keep adding to taste)
Boil all ingredients, then simmer 10 minutes. Add cooked hamburgers and simmer.
I guess to get this right, a previous experience with real Bury’s burgers is necessary. But for now, does this recipe sound right to Bury’s aficionados? And any other Bury’s memories?
- Before there was McDonald’s, there was Bury’s Famous Hamburgers in York, Pa.
- Before Geno’s made news in Philly, Gino’s headlined in York.
- About Avalong Dairy and Melvin’s Drive-In: ‘I am some what familiar with the history of the area’.
- Mack’s is short for McDaniel’s, but in York County it means ice cream.
- The 1950s, ’60s: ‘The greatest time to grow up in York, Pa.’.
- Bury’s recipe as published in the York Sunday News, 2000, click here.
- That York Sunday News recipe with additional ingredient reportedly from Joe Bury himself, click here.
- A quick alternative: This Bury’s burger sauce comes from a can, click here.
York Town Square posts on Bury’s Famous Hamburgers:
Yet another Bury’s hamburger drops into the cooker.
Bury’s burgers: ‘You won’t get that recipe’.
The quest for Bury’s secret hamburger recipe continues.
This Bury’s recipe comes from a can,
Reader reveals Bury’s secret recipe.
Is Bury’s secret sauce really secret?
Bury’s burgers: Nostalgia on a bun.
Fair, Bury’s go together like tomato sauce, burgers.
Bury’s burgers: ”That was it – no slaw, no relish, no pickles’.
Playland plays nostalgic note for York countians.
Bury’s burger memories far from buried.