potatochipsX00227_9.jpeg
York, Pa.’s, Martin’s Potato Chips are randomly sampled salt and moisture content, as seen in this York Daily Record/Sunday News file photo from 2004. Also of interest: York County, Pa. made big, heavy things – and was immensely proud of it and Chipmaking of the potato kind has deep roots in York County and York’s Central Market sells steak … and sizzle.

Universal York blogger June Lloyd keeps chipping away, er, profiling potato chipmakers around York County, Pa.
She just did the El-Ge/Eagle/Frito-Lay plant, west of York.
But here’s the thing.
The topic of potato chips often sparks a fun debate that diverts attention from the
weightier issues facing York County and the world.
The discussion about who makes the best chips usually is framed this way:

Are you a Martin’s fan or an Utz fan?
If you’re a York countian, that usually covers it.
Or do you think there’s a better chip than either of those two?
Weigh in below or check out The Exchange, where I post the same questions.

About Jim McClure

Editor of the York Daily Record/Sunday News, ydr.com and its many digital products. East Region Editor, Digital First Media. Journalism/history blogger: yorktownsquare.com. Author or co-author of seven York County, Pa., history books.
This entry was posted in Archives, all posts, Farms & fields, Local journalism & Web, Made in York, Nostalgia & memories, Quizzes & (fun) tests, YorkEats: Hogmaw & such. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Who makes the best potato chips in York County, Martin’s or Utz? Or someone else?

1. Falmanac says:

Often debated in Harford County too, Marylanders consider the York snacks a regional tradition. The answer to your question is, of course, Utz.

2. Joan says:

I weighed in on that back in 2007 – but I clearly need to revisit!

3. John Loeper says:

UTZ hands down. I now live a couple of hundred miles away from York county but still buy the UTZ brand at my local stores. Real good , but not as great as those extra fresh ones my mother used to get on saturday mornings at the UTZ stand at Central Market.

4. d mancha says:

moved to fl. from maryland -boy do I miss them utz chips in them gold cans–well guess what I get them shipped down here–nothing better then utz chips

5. bob says:

Utz is the best! Martins sucks!

6. Glenn J Garrett says:

I like Utz but Martins is the better chip.

7. Max says:

Plain chip = Utz.
    Barbecue waffle = Martin’s.
    I grew up in central PA but live in Vermont and the potato chips up here are nowhere near as good as in PA. Not only Martin’s and Utz, but Middleswarth, Good’s, Gibble’s, Kay and Ray (darks!)… my first and last stop on trips to PA is at the first and last Sheetz in the state to stock up till the next time.

8. Peter says:

I lived in Germany for 3 years working for the military. On the Armed Forces network, they don’t run ads but sustitute interesting little facts and stories. They used to run a story about chips and how they were invented and would show a video of the Utz plant and I would drool…Utz chips are the finest and only chip worth eating!!!!!!

9. Marie Measley says:

There is no other chip as good as Utz. We live in FL 6 months of the year and the first food we go for when coming north is a big bag of UTZ chips.

10. Andy says:

Utz Utz Utz Utz. Although, since I live in DC, it’s pretty hard to find Martin’s. So when I come back to Hanover/McSherrystown, finding a bag of Martin’s is quite the treat.

11. joy says:

Its Martins, hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kettle Cooked Barbecue are the absolute best!!
    Keep up the good work and dont change a thing
    Love em!!!!!!!!
    I send Martins Regular and Barbeque often to family members in Florida and North Carolina
    They just cant get enough!!

12. Chris S. says:

I like Martin’s Kettle Cooked and Utz’s Salt and Vinegar.

13. stan b says:

Martins is by far the best chip

14. Coach O says:

Martins!!!!! pick up 2 boxes every time i am back home.

15. Linda L says:

Ewwww, Utz? Really? Those weightless little pieces of fried grease? No way! Martin’s has a more substantial texture and a better taste. We especially love those doubled-over ones. Martin’s all the way!