beechercent222X00087_9.jpeg
A quality control expert at York, Pa.’s Classic Caramel, now part of Camp Hill, Pa.-based Warrell Corp., checks a piece of Slo Poke candy to make sure the packaging is closed with a proper twist. Warrell also produces candy under the Katharine Beecher name – a brand that started in York County’s Manchester borough. (York (Pa.) Daily Record/Sunday News photo.) Also of interest: Katharine Beecher: ‘Legacies,’ Part I and York Peppermint Patties: ‘York became synonymous with dark chocolate and peppermint’ and OLLI’s theme song: ‘Don’t stop thinking about learning’

An e-mailer gave this heads up:

Katharine Beecher’s name appears prominently in a candy display in York Township’s Cracker Barrel.
I took notice.
The Beecher name is legendary in a York County that is big on candymaking… .

beecherX00178_9.jpeg
Katharine Beecher
It was a successful homespun candy business with a national name.
And it was a rare business run by a woman – Katharine Beecher, of course – in the middle of the 20th century.
The Manchester company has been part of Warrell Corporation for some years. That’s the same Camp Hill, Cumberland County, company that operates York’s Classic Caramel.
But I had never run across the Beecher brand in a retail venue, particularly a national chain like Cracker Barrel.
So the next time I was in the restaurant’s gift shop, I checked out the candy display.
The chain does a nice job of building nostalgia in its candy choices – Black Jack and Beeman’s chewing gum, Necco candy and other popular treats from the past.
And then there they were.
Peanut Butter Duets, part of Katherine Beecher’s Manchester Collection, with the imprint: “Freshly ground peant butter and crispy golden candy thinly layered and formed into delicate satin pillows.”
I looked around for Beecher buttermints, the candy that propelled the company in its early years.
The only buttermints there were marked with the brand, Naylor Candies.
Naylor is a York County name, so I picked up the mints to investigate their origin.
The package said that they’re made in Mount Wolf, Pa., neighbor to Manchester borough in northeastern York County.
Charlie and Anna Mae Naylor founded the company in Lombard, Ill., and moved to Mount Wolf in 1955, according to Naylor’s Web site.
“Today the candy making process is still done using much of their equipment that the factory started with,” the site states.
And yes, the buttermint line is a staple product.
How interesting, I thought, that you can learn about your community by visiting a national restaurant chain.
At the same time, good for Cracker Barrel for carrying those “delicate satin pillows” and other local treats.
It’s just good business on several fronts, including the fact that browsing such delicacies probably increases the size of the order in the restaurant next door.

About Jim McClure

Editor of the York Daily Record/Sunday News, ydr.com and its many digital products. East Region Editor, Digital First Media. Journalism/history blogger: yorktownsquare.com. Author or co-author of seven York County, Pa., history books.
This entry was posted in Archives, all posts, Explanations/controversy, For photo fans, Local journalism & Web, Local landmarks, Made in York, Mail bag, Nostalgia & memories, Women's history, YorkEats: Hogmaw & such. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Katharine Beecher’s Duets: ‘Freshly ground peanut butter … formed into delicate satin pillows

1. helen geiselman says:

I REMEMBER THE CANDY FACTORY AS A CHILD GOWNING UP IN MANCHESTER ON MAIN STREET AND GOING TO SCHOOL ABOVE THE CANDY FACTORY. AT RECESS WE COULD RUN DOWN AND BUY A BAG OF MINTS FOR 10 CENTS. HOW GREAT WAS THAT?X

2. myria jackson says:

I think I remember the peanut butter candy as a child. Did it use to come in white can with a metal key on top of the can to open the candy?

• Kim Barrick says:

I remember going to grandma house and eating the peanut butter duets. I alsoremember the white can with the key.

3. Judy Landry says:

I am interested in buying a case of the Peanut Butter Duets. I would like to give out to customers for christmas. If you have any information please let me know.

4. Kay Becker says:

I recently bought two cans of the peanut butter Duets. I bought them at Cracker Barrel. I can hardly eat them, the candy is so hard, I am afraid that I will break a tooth. I was really happy to find them at Cracker Barrel, so I was really disappointed when I opened them. I would either like two new cans or my money back. I am sorry, but I was really disappointed. Thank you ! Kay Becker 395 Genoa Dr. Ballwin, Mo. 63021

5. Jim McClure says:

Kay, I’d contact Pennsylvania Dutch Candies at: http://www.padutchcandies.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx.
    Jim

6. Jim McClure says:

Judy,
    Contact the Camp Hill maker of the Duets: http://www.padutchcandies.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx.
    Jim McClure

7. She has it in her genes. One must have love for that kind of job. I have never tasted any of her candies, though.

8. mike yarbro says:

i would like to talk to someone about fun raisers

9. Jim McClure says:

Mike,
    Here is Camp Hill candymaker’s website re: fundraising: http://www.warrellcorp.com/.
    Jim McClure

10. Latanya Richardson says:

would like to order candy.27

11. S. J. says:

Are there any suppliers in Canada of the Duets?

If not, what would be the closest supplier to Port Huron, Michigan?

12. judith Adams says:

I love Katherine Beecher Chocolate Covered Peanut Brittle Bites. Where can I buy some? Does Cracker Barrel carry this particular candy? Any other stores?

• Jim McClure says:

Judith, I googled the term and a bunch of places to order it online came up. I don’t remember seeing that particular candy at the Cracker Barrel at Interstate 83 and Queen Street, but the store definitely carries other types of Beecher candies. – Jim

13. Clariece Paulk says:

Can you order a case of Manchester Collection Peanut Butter Duets in 10 oz. cans? if so, how much? Is there a shipping charge?