Who were those York County, Pa., park guys, William H. Kain and John C. Rudy?

kainX00032_9.jpeg
William H. Kain poses near the York County park sign that bears his name. For a photo of John C. Rudy, also from Eleanor Boggs Shoemaker’s “Parks, People, Preservation, Public Policy,” see below. Also of interest: Mile-a-minute weed’s York County origins questioned, Memorial honoring victims of alcohol-related crashes should be visited and Rainmaker’s visit indicates much awry in York.

Their names are spoken weekly in hundreds of household around York County.
The picnic is at Rudy Park.
Or, let’s go mountain biking at Kain.
But who were those guys whose names appear on park signs anyway?
.


rudyX00028_9.jpeg
John and Mary Rudy, the last occupants of the property that is now John B. Rudy County Park.
The new history about York County’s Park System, “Parks, People, Preservation, Public Policy,” gives the answers.
William H. Kain was head of the York Water Co. when he proposed a partnership with York County parks to lease 1,600 acres of land adjoining Lake Williams (220 acres) and Lake Redman (290 acres.)
Such a partnership was not new in York County. A state/Glatfelter partnership was in play at Codorus State Park and its Lake Marburg.
So, the county parks system attached William H. Kain’s name to the 1,637 park.
In 1973, George B. Rudy and Viola Rudy Williams, heirs of the Bixler property, a 143-acre estate near Mundis Mill and the Codorus Creek. They offered the land with its 1798 farmhouse, summer kitchen and 1805 barn for park purposes.
It was presented in memory of their grandparents, John and Mary Rudy, who had most recently occupied the family farm.
The park became part of the county system in 1973, all 150 acres of it, and it bears John Rudy’s name today.
Also of interest
York Town Square regularly explores county and state parks. Here’s a sampling of links from past posts:
With hot controversy cooled, Highpoint offers Susquehanna River view for the ages.
Private, public interests built Lake Marburg for manufacturing, recreation.
How Sam Lewis State Park sightseers view Highpoint’s dome .
Wildflowers at Shenk’s Ferry glen sprouting despite centuries of encroaching civilization.
Native Americans help clean up Dritt family cemetery in new York County park.
Iron-mine-turned-into-party-spot turned into York County park.
Pioneering sisters operated York County grist mill.
York native, Pa. Gov. George Leader cleared dam plan.
- Is that Pidgeon or Pigeon Hills in western York County?
About phone pole playground at Rocky Ridge: ‘Children’s heads got caught in between the logs’.
Rail trail ribbons criss-crossing York/Adams.
Richard Nixon’s visit to his namesake park sparks memories.

About Jim McClure

Editor of the York Daily Record/Sunday News, ydr.com and its many digital products. East Region Editor, Digital First Media. Journalism/history blogger: yorktownsquare.com. Author or co-author of seven York County, Pa., history books.
This entry was posted in Archives, all posts, Books & reading, Farms & fields, For photo fans, Genealogy/research, Local landmarks, People, Women's history. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>