A post about the Warehime-Myers Mansion, now in the hands of the Hanover (Pa.) Area Historical Society, scored number seven on the most-viewed list on yorktownsquare.com blog in 2011. People must have loved the stories and photographs of this richly decorated mansion. (See photograph below.) Also of interest: See the top 10 yorktownsquare.com posts from 2010 and top yorktownsquare.com posts from 2009.
For better or worst, posts about the Ku Klux Klan topped the pages-most-visited list on this blog in 2011.
For better, shining a light on this sordid piece of York County’s past helps us understand our county today.
For worst, because the KKK continues to fascinate folks.
We appreciated our readership in this blog’s six year and hope the 400,000 pages you viewed help you understand York County’s past, present – and future – a little bit better.
That said, here are the top posts, with their rank in 2010 indicated, if applicable.
1. For years, KKK has tried to navigate the York County mainstream (2)
2. Finder of KKK certificate: Finder of KKK certificate: ‘My first thought was fear … the Ku Klux Klan would have loved us’
3. Crash taking lives of 5 New Oxford High School students among worst mass casualty
4. Navy SEAL Neil C. Roberts: ‘In this simple grave … lies a nation (6)
5. World War II propaganda posters raised spirits, women’s wrath (1)
6. Political foes in York, Pa., not impressed with Abe Lincoln’s Thanksgiving proclamation
7. Two ornate mansions that Hanover Shoe built
8. Red Lion’s Ebert Furniture: From bedroom suites to gunstocks
9. Dover’s/Packers’ John Kuhn: ‘He is able to grasp things very quick (9)
10. Check out this list of York County’s most notorious criminal cases (3)
Also of interest:
– Check out this list of York County top news stories in 2009.
– Short stories tell of long year in York County.
– Best of yorktownsquare.com, 2007
– All York Town Square posts from the start. (Key word search by using “find” on browser.) Or search Google. For example: search yorktownsquare and Articles of Confederation.