More neat stuff: Roadside giants/New in Gettysburg/Trinity Church sold
Recognize this building? The old Loucks school stands in plain view today. This photograph was part of a York Weekly Record spread. Here’s its caption: ‘The former Loucks one-room schoolhouse at 1881 Loucks Road, West Manchester Township, is thought to have been built in 1881 as a church schoolhouse, and enjoyed a quiet setting at the end of a large plot. This land was deeded to Henrich Wolf by the heirs of William Penn and was later purchased by the school district. The school was closed in the 1930s and bought at a public sale. Until recently the surrounding solitude added peace to the cemetery nearby, where several members of the Pfaltzgraff family are buried beside veterans of the American Revolution and the war of 1812.’ To see a photo of its present look, check below and also notice a mystery concerning a neighboring cemetery. Also of interest: Solo teachers in York County one-room schools assigned lots of assistants
Neat stuff from all over … .
People like to keep track of new stuff at the Visitors Center at the Gettysburg National Military Park. The Hanover Evening Sun keeps us well informed.
Here’s how its recent story on newly exhibited artifacts began:
“Mounted behind a thick piece of glass at the Gettysburg National Military Park Museum and Visitor Center is a new addition to the display case. Deep blue with a faded number one in the center, it is the swallow tail banner representing the 1st Corps of the Army of the Potomac.
“Used on the first day of battle to mark the position of Gen. John F. Reynolds, the flag now represents one of the many new additions to the museum.”
Read more: New artifacts on display in Gettysburg.
The NewsVroom: The York Daily Record’s mobile newsroom launched last night at the Central York/West York football game. When it pulled away, it drew applause from folks at the field. Check out its debut via social media.
It’s finally final? Seems like we’ve heard this before but the sale of the historic Trinity United Methodist Church is final. It will remain standing and will remain a church.
Forum of the day: Rofo is the big Royal Farms chicken marking the new store opening at Route 30 and Roosevelt in York: http://bit.ly/PI1kPV. This region has enjoyed roadside attractions for years: a shoehouse, coffee pot, windmill and ship-shaped restaurant. Do you have a favorite among these over-sized markers? How does Rofo stack up? Please comment below. Background: Roadside Giant – Route 30′s largest billboard.
The York Weekly Record’s caption: The former Loucks one-room schoolhouse at 1881 Loucks Road, Manchester Township, was a white brick residence for a while and is now York Rehabilitation Associates. This photo was taken in 2007. The building still stands along Loucks Road; but, unlike in early years, it no longer stands alone. The school plot is now lost amid an area of commercial growth. The West Manchester Mall, York Newspaper Co. and Stroehmann Maiers Bakery are its next-door neighbors. The front door is now a chimney and the side window is now a door.’ OK, here’s the mystery: Mel Miller, 717-764-1343, is looking for the identity of who is maintaining the cemetery. Mel is a mainstay of the West Manchester Township Historical Society, who provided these photographs of Loucks school. Also of interest: West Manchester Township book contains gold coins.