The Hartley Boat Club sat next to the Codorus Creek south of York, Pa., south of Kings Mill, as seen in 1914. It pointed to the day when the Codorus was widely used for recreation, a theme some York officials are seeking to revisit today. Also of interest: Check out the York Athletic Club’s boathouse in the post Skinnydipping in the Codorus.
The photo above is one of more than 50 postcards that are part of ydr.com Media Center gallery of old York County postcard views. “At one time postcards were used as a means of communication, when people couldn’t communicate by phone,” the gallery states.
Here are 4 more postcards, received from readers over the years:
Murphy’s sat on the square for years on York’s Continental Square. An office building now sits on that site, as city officials look for ways to revive this important part of York County.
Today, summer cottages still sit on the banks of the Conewago Creek (notice incorrect spelling on the postcard) near Manchester.
Playland opened in the days before Pearl Harbor in 1941 and burned in the 1980s. For more than 40 years, this Springettsbury Township site was a major entertainment venue.
Besser’s sat on the site of the present-day Shrewsbury Township office building on the Susquehanna Trail.