Linked in/Neat stuff: Climbing Gettysburg’s Longstreet Tower/Murals of York quiz
Charles H. Glatfelter writes in ‘York County Lutherans’ that St. John’s Church went up in 1875. Architectural specialist Terry Downs, who is looking at some of this building’s many significant features, writes that this was designer John A. Dempwolf’s first commission. So a lot of history comes together at 140 W. King St. (See additional photos on Terry Downs’ Facebook page). Also of interest: Dempwolf architects built York’s skyline, history.
This is the view from St. John’s Lutheran’s West King Street bell tower. The community-minded congregation, part of the Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod, goes by First St. John’s. That distinguishes it from the Mount Rose Avenue congregation, St. John’s. ‘York County Lutherans’ states that the congregation voted to sell the West King Street building in 1968 and conduct St. John’s activities at 2580 Mount Rose Avenue. About 200 congregants stayed with the West King Street building and started the First St. John’s ministry, which continues to this day. Charles Glatfelter writes that German-language worship services were held at West King Street as late as 1944, when they were discontinued. Also of interest: ‘On the Codorus’ tells about early Lutherans in York County.
Other neat stuff from all over … .
York countian Roy Flinchbaugh has done some effective sleuthing. He noted the movies showing at the old HiWay Theater in this story and determined the photo’s date at 1945: Continue reading “Finding significant Dempwolf design features in venerable York, Pa., church” »