York Daily Record/Sunday News
1891 Loucks Road
York, PA 17408
Direct number: 717-771-2011
Author of six books on York County history:*
- “Never to be Forgotten.”
- “Nine Months in York Town”
- “Almost Forgotten”
- “East of Gettysburg”
- “In the Thick of the Fight”
- “Civil War Voices from York County” (with Scott L. Mingus)
- “Echoing Still: More Civil War Voices from York County” (with Scott L. Mingus, due from the publisher in April.)
*For sale at www.yorkheritage.org
As chairman of the York County Heritage Trust’s Publications Committee, I help edit the Trust’s annual scholarly publication, “The Journal of York Heritage”, and other Trust publications, for example, Mary Hamilton’s “Rising From The Wilderness.”
I also served as general editor of the three-volume “250th Chronicles,” published in conjunction with the 250th anniversary of York County in 1999.
I have been editor of the York Daily Record/York Sunday News and associated digital products since May 2004. Before that, I was the managing editor of the York Daily Record for 15 years. In 2012, I was named East Region Editor for the YDR’s parent Digital First Media, with oversight for 24 daily newsrooms and 50 or more weeklies.
I am the author of six books on York County history — “Never to be Forgotten, A Year-By-Year Look at York County’s Past,” “Nine Months in York Town, American Revolutionaries Labor on Pennsylvania’s Frontier,” “Almost Forgotten, A Glimpse at Black History in York County, Pa.,” “East of Gettysburg, A Gray Shadow Crosses York County, Pa.” and ” “In the Thick of the Fight, York County, Pa., Counters the Axis Threat in WWII.” I co-authored “Civil War Voices From York County.”
I write daily entries, or posts, in my York County journalism/history blog, York Town Square.
I hold a master’s degree in American Studies from Penn State Harrisburg, where my research focus was on York County journalism history.
I am past president of Pennsylvania Associated Press Managing Editors and past president of the Pennsylvania Society of Newspaper Editors.
I present, at no charge, on history or journalism topics to community, education and journalistic groups. I have a heavy speaking schedule, so please schedule as far in advance as possible. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or Donna Mandl at email@example.com.
- Famous faces in York Town when Continental Congress visited in 1777-78
- Civil War Voices in York County
- World War II: Its impact on York County
- Famous women in York County’s past
- The contributions York County’s black fighting men in American wars
- York County’s one-room schools explained
- William C. Goodridge and the Underground Railroad in York County
- The Murals of York County explored
- Basic tools for exploring York County history
- Presidential visits to York County
- Penn Park’s place in York City history
- Our past, Our present, Our future – Civil rights in York County
Pennsylvania Newspaper Foundation John Fisher Internet Vision Award in 2010 and two PNA Foundation Public Service Awards for heading York Daily Record/Sunday News heading journalism/history teams covering race/civil rights issues in York County.
Q & A
For a short interview on the YDR Insider blog, visit: Staff Q&As: Meet Editor James McClure.