Tag Archives: Millers’ Tales

How mills and mill dams have been forever part of York County life

York County, Pa., had more than 300 mills at one time. That means that its streams were crossed with more than 300 dams that backed up the creeks to supply the raceways that carried water to the mill wheels. Eight lowhead dams remain on area streams, although not all can be connected to mills. Conewago Creek’s Shady Nook Dam near the Davidsburg Road was built for recreational purposes in the 1930s. That dam made the news recently when it took the life of a York County boater.

Posted in Archives, all posts, Explanations/controversy, Farms, fields & mills, For photo fans, Local journalism & Web, Local landmarks, Pain & trauma, Unsung/obscure sites | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off on How mills and mill dams have been forever part of York County life

For boys and girls. Extra!: Linked in with neat York County, Pa., history stuff: Nov. 24, 2010

A feature of the popular Boys and Girls Newspaper published for years in York, Pa.’s, The Gazette and Daily was a listing of birthdays, as seen in this newspaper from 1941. Charles H. Glatfelter wrote that his late wife’s mother … Continue reading

Posted in Archives, all posts, Books & reading, Events, Farms, fields & mills, Linked in/neat stuff, Made in York, Mail bag, Nostalgia & memories, People | Tagged , , | Comments Off on For boys and girls. Extra!: Linked in with neat York County, Pa., history stuff: Nov. 24, 2010